Rev. John Touchie
The Rev. John W. Touchie, Amherst, N.S. passed away July 10, 2018 at age 91.
Born in Quarryville, New Brunswick, he was the son of Herman H. and Ruby (Jardine) Touchie. He was the grandson of Wheelock and Rose (Gerrish) Jardine, Quarryville, New Brunswick and John A. and Margaret (Jardine) Touchie, Renous, New Brunswick.
John attended St. Mark's United Church, Quarryville, N.B. In 1943 he moved from Newcastle, N.B. with his parents to 144 Highfield Street, Moncton, N.B. where he attended Wesley Memorial United Church. He was recommended by the Session of the Church to the Moncton Presbytery as a candidate for the Ministry to the Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada and was accepted by the Conference.
He attended Mount Allison University in the Arts and Theology Programs prior to attending Pine Hill Divinity Hall in Halifax, N.S. He graduated from Pine Hill on May 7, 1958 and was ordained by the Maritime Conference in Sackville United Church on June 15, 1958. He and his wife Ruth were settled in the Wallace, Fox Harbour and Middleboro Churches by the Settlement Committee of Maritime Conference on July 1, 1958. The Malagash Pastoral Charge, along with St. John's in Wallace, formed the present Pastoral Charge, which is now known as Three Harbours United Church Pastoral Charge.
John attended a Mission Field in Middlewood, Italy Cross and Danesville Churches where a new Church was built in Danesville, Queens County, after having bought the unoccupied Baptist Church in Pleasantville from Acadia University to be torn down and rebuilt in Danesville. It was 85% completed on the exterior and interior during the summer of 1957. John was the special speaker at the Church for their 35th Anniversary. The Church was fully occupied for the occasion. It is now part of the Petite Riviere Pastoral Charge, along with Middlewood and St. Andrew's United Church.
John served as Minister for St. John's United in Wallace, Malagash United and St. Andrew's United in Fox Harbour. He accepted a call to St. Andrew's United in Springhill, N.S. in November 1961 and became President of the Springhill and area Ministerial Association. He was also President of the Amateur Minor Hockey Association for Springhill and area from 1961 to 1963.
St. Andrew's and Wesley United amalgamated as one Pastoral Charge and still remains as such today.
In September 1959 he joined the Masonic Lodge in Wallace, #76 AM-CM. In 2012 he received a gold medal in honor of 50 years, and was just recently presented with his 55 year Bar.
John accepted a call to be Minister of Woodside Imperial United Church in Woodside, N.S. in 1964. In 1966 he advised Halifax Presbytery that he was making an application for a job in the Federal Government of Indian Affairs and Northern Development for the Maritime Provinces. He was successful and became the Welfare Officer for Saint John River Agency in Woodstock, N.B. He subsequently became the Assistant Superintendent for the Province of Nova Scotia (Indian Affairs Officer II). He went to Ottawa to compete for the position of District Manager for the Province of New Brunswick. He was successful and two years later he competed in Ottawa to occupy the position of Assistant Regional Director for Community Affairs in the Regional Office for the Maritime Provinces in Amherst, N.S. He was successful and held the position until he retired, due to his age of 65 years, as determined by the Federal Government.
He served as Superintendent on Prince Edward Island for 13 months at which time he urged and supported the concept of closing the Indian Affairs Office on P.E.I. and have the Indian people provide leadership with the assistance of several senior staff members in education, economic development, administration and community affairs in the Amherst Regional Office, providing any services that were required. He strongly recommended the amount of $1,000,000 in the Capital Fiscal Year Budget to build a Bridge from the Main Island to Lennox Island for safety reasons. This project was approved by the Indian Affairs Headquarters in Ottawa, along with the Regional Office Headquarters in Amherst and the Bridge was completed and dedicated in the summer of 1973. The Indian Affairs Office in Summerside was closed in September 1971 and has remained closed to the present day. The Indian leadership and its people have supported the concept of the arrangements made in 1971 very successfully.
John is survived by his loving wife of 63 years Ruth (Dewar), daughter Diane (Dennis Graves), Fredericton, sons John (Lisa Deyarmond), Truro and Andrew (Wanda Keirstead) Amherst, 4 grandchildren(Sara, Adam, Logan, Luke) and 3 great-grandchildren (Aidan, Cohen, Ewan). He is also survived by sisters Margaret Moore (Robert), Riverview, Doris Atkinson, Moncton, Ruth Johnston, Riverside, California, and Mable Goguen, Moncton .. He was predeceased by sister Bernice Steeves and brothers Marshall (Buster) and Wilson, brothers-in-law, Rev. Bruce Atkinson, Lloyd Johnston, Fred Goguen, Hollis Steeves, sister-in-law Shirley Touchie.
John was a very kind, patient and understanding husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. He was a testament to hard work, loyalty, and commitment, both serving as a Minister and doing his work with Indian Affairs, both of which he enjoyed thoroughly. He would never turn away a friend, family member or stranger in need. John also had a great sense of humour.
Arrangements have been entrusted into the care and direction of Furlong~Jones Funeral Home, 70 Church St, Amherst, NS (902-667-8777), where visiting hours will be held on Friday, July 13, 2018 from 6 to 8 pm. Rev. Touchie's funeral service will be held on Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11 am from Trinity St. Stephen United Church, Amherst, NS. Burial will take place in the Crossroads Cemetery, Valley, NS
Those wishing to make a donation in Rev. Touchie's memory may do so to the charity of your choice.
Sharing of memories and condolences may be sent to the family by visiting Rev. Touchie's online memorial at www.furlongjones.ca or through the Furlong~Jones Funeral Home Facebook Page.
Saturday, July 14, 2018
Trinity- St. Stephen's United Church
Furlong-Jones Funeral Home
Cross Roads Cemetery, Valley, N.S.